Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Vote for Pinoy CNN Hero of the Year: Efren Peñaflorida

Efren Peñaflorida gives Filipino youth an alternative to gang membership through education. His Dynamic Teen Company's 10,000 members have taught basic reading and writing to 1,500 kids living in the slums.

I just voted for Efren Peñaflorida in the CNN Hero of the Year. He is one of the Top 10 Heroes for 2009. CNN feature shares Peñaflorida's remarkable story:
For the past 12 years, Peñaflorida and his team of teen volunteers have taught basic reading and writing to children living on the streets. Their main tool: A pushcart classroom.

Stocked with books, pens, tables and chairs, his Dynamic Teen Company recreates a school setting in unconventional locations such as the cemetery and municipal trash dump.

Peñaflorida knows firsthand the adversity faced by these children. Born into a poor family, he lived in a shanty near the city dump site. But he says he refused to allow his circumstances to define his future.

"Instead of being discouraged, I promised myself that I would pursue education," he recalls. "I will strive hard; I will do my best."

CNN’s heroes are ordinary people accomplishing extraordinary deeds. Although I have only voted for Efren Peñaflorida, each one is a hero for they all serve and help others wholeheartedly. They have all made a difference in the people's lives. They are indeed exceptional!


Vote for Efren Peñaflorida as CNN Hero of the Year. Voting is until Thursday, November 19, 2009 (6 a.m. ET).

1 comments:

Joy said...

hi czaroma! i voted for efren already and i'll continue voting for him in the coming days. i also blog about him in my site. i hope he wins!

Post a Comment